Citizens Against Teen Suicide... & bullying abuse!- C.A.T.S.
Welcome to C.A.T.S.
FOUNDING, MISSION AND CORE VALUES
My name is Ray Antocicco, Ed. D., and I am the founding director of a newly minted social enterprise, Citizens Against Teen Suicide & bullying-C.A.T.S. or simply CATS, as we like to refer to it. The name is at least somewhat ironic, since we have two siberian huskies and no cats, in our home.
CATS, was officially founded on January 1, 2011, or about three years after my semi-retirement as a Superintendent of a large private school in New Jersey. It was, however, actually beginning to come together much earlier than that date. Prior to its inception, a few of the present CATS associates worked independently and sometimes together in their support of placing motivational speakers in schools and other venues where teenagers are present.
In this regard many opportunitites have presented themselves across America in schools, youth rallies and camps to hear our motivational speakers. During 2011-2012 thousands have attended our mostly public school anti-bullying assemblies and hundreds have responded positively in writing after the events. View some of the students’ comments on various pages of this website. They are representative of the hundreds that are received each year on facebook.
”To assist teenagers to be motivated by the simple truth that life is a precious gift, well worth living and thereby to strengthen their resolve to resist and reject life destructive choices.”
C.A.T.S . HOLDS TO A TRADITIONAL VIEW REGARDING SUICIDE
… HENCE, OUR CORE VALUES:
1. Suicide is not the way a human life should end.
2. Suicide thoughts can be treated, since they are often the result of untreated depression, or untreated pain and suffering.
3. A commuity has an obligation to see that all persons have access to needed care for mental health issues.
4. A community should provide education to address the issues related to death and dying, including suicide.
5. The condemnation of people who complete suicide is unjust, and we deplore any stigma that falls on surviving family and friends.
6. A community should encourage its faith based organizations, such as churches, to provide pastoral care to those at risk, to survivors, and to their families, and to those families who have lost loved ones to suicide.
7. We stand opposed to assisted suicide and euthanasia.
8. We stand opposed to any and all forms of bullying, including cyber bullying.
9. We affirm the inherent sanctity, worth and dignity of all individuals as a common basis for mutul respect, tolerance and acceptance.
10. CATS exists to assist, communities and organizations that share it’s core values.